Friday, August 20, 2010

Ex Lib Turns To Labor

In the late 1990's, I was an Electorate Chairman and State Vice President of the Liberal Party (Tasmanian Division).  I had also served as Campaign Director and Branch President.  While I ceased my involvement with the party in early 1999, due to moving interstate, I have continued to encourage and support the Liberal philosophy.  I have made this point so that the reader may appreciate the difficulty I have had in deciding that tomorrow, for the 2010 election, I will vote Labor.


The reason I will vote Labor is simple!

Australia is a large and sparsely populated country.  In terms of infrastructure development there is simply no comparison with other nations of smaller land mass or more dense populations.  The provision of national infrastructure has always been difficult and expensive.  Furthermore, Australians have always demanded equity, wherever it was possible to do so.  As a result, it has been necessary for large national infrastructure projects to be delivered by government.

The Overland Telegraph, railways, mail services, telephone, electricity, irrigation, roads and more were all, at least initially, provided by government.

The Internet is the next major tool for the future development of this nation.  Its usefulness and effectiveness depend upon speed and capacity.  High speed Internet is fundamental to the next generation of medicine, healthcare, education, small business, big business, population policy and regionalisation.  It is NOT about movies, music or Facebook!

Right now, as I write, there is a willingness and a corporate structure to enable the building of a high speed National Broadband Network (NBN).  This can only be built, as a truly nation building project, by government.  In 48 hours or less, that willingness or structure may no longer exist.

I am totally committed to the need for the NBN and its development must continue.  This is not for me, I am 62.  It is for my children and grandchildren who I do not wish to see consigned to a technological dark age.

I am voting for the NBN!  As a result, I am voting Labor.

If you agree with this, its needs to go viral now.

No comments: